31 January 2013

The Magic Toyshop - Angela Carter

Sorry Angela Carter, I just couldn't convince myself that I enjoyed your novel. I just didn't.
I'm not sure I know why. It's packed full of analysable literary stuff, and is nice and straight-forward to read. All good right? Seemingly not.
Was it just too feminine for my tastes? I'm in no way anti-feminism. The Magic Toyshop is largely a feminist book with a female protagonist, but am I really so prejudice that this should put me off? I liked The Hunger Games, and that had a female protagonist. Although, that was less about gender-roles, and more about a strong, independent female character. Furthermore, the character Finn in The Magic Toyshop goes through more character development than Melanie and is very likeable. Why couldn't I get interested?
Perhaps I'll never know.
Again, sorry Angela Carter. I'm sure you're a good righter and all that, but I just couldn't get you.

I didn't like the semi-Freudian psycho-analytic feminists either. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment