17 February 2013

Yann Martel

Life of Pi
This novel had a massive impact on me. I absolutely loved it when I first read it. I was surprised to find that I hadn't written a piece on it before now. I love the use of language, and its apparent simplicity despite deep complexity in themes. I remember being totally gripped when I neared the end of the novel and was presented with the alternative story, forced to reconsider everything I had read until that point. Second and third readings become totally different once you know the ending, and have to grapple with the two-story concept.

This was recently adapted into a wonderful movie. Surprisingly, I was largely optimistic about this, despite it being considered un-filmable by many and always dangerous to adapt great works. This turned out to be one of the best films I have seen in a long time. (Note, whilst 3D has improved as a technology, it is not necessary.)
The film made some of the themes a bit more obvious and directly apparent, as opposed to the more nuanced novel, but this was largely to its advantage
In the movie, it is difficult to believe the animal story once you have heard the second human story. The performance of the actor playing Pi really dove into the character's psyche and forced us to realise that in reality, the wonderful adventure was not everything it seemed to be. The only way one could conceivably continue to believe the first story is through having faith. This, unfortunately, is not something I am programmed to do.

The religious themes were apparent, clearly arguing for any type of religious faith, almost saying that it is OK to believe whatever you want if it makes life happier and more interesting.
The main principle is that faith is a good thing, even if it is faith in something that is untrue. Only one with unprecedented faith could believe the wonderful story of Pi's life with Richard Parker.
The problem is, I do not believe any type of faith is a good thing.

I somehow have found a way to love the book without agreeing with any of its messages. I'm not even a vegetarian, which Life of Pi clearly advocates. How can this be?
The only answers I can think are these:
1) Even if I do not agree with the viewpoints, I am interested in the themes in general. Religion is one of my favourite topics, and when tackled through fiction is all the more interesting. Furthermore, I have always sought a rational explanation for meat-eating, without finding one I am truly happy with.
2) The language. The novel is expertly put together.
This second idea is backed up by the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed another of Yann Martel's novels:

Beatrice and Virgil

Martel's obsession with animals continues, and rather than tackling questions of religion, he decides to tackle the Holocaust.
What is the perspective on the Holocaust that is being presented?
There is some sympathy for the ex-Nazi character, despite the protagonist's disgust. The reader spends a lot of time with this supporting character without discovering his horrible past, thus making it difficult for the reader to abandon previous sympathies in exchange for hatred. Martel seems to be opening up the discussion, asking questions, as opposed to quite strongly presenting a world-view like he did in Life of Pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment